Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Grand Weekend

This past weekend we traveled with most of my family to Williams, Arizona. Friday night we boarded the Polar Express Train and rode to the North Pole. On Saturday we took the two hour train into the Grand Canyon. We had the most amazing time. We enjoyed both of the train rides as well as the company. I would definately recommend this adventure to anyone.

This is grandma (my mom) and all the grandkids waiting to board the train. They wore their pajamas and it was very cold.

This is Nathans new pose for pictures. As you can see, Andrew's as excited to get his picture taken as he always is.

I've included these two pictures because I'm interested to see which one of us you think Nathan looks the most like. (I don't see much resemblance to either of us.)




He was very excited to see Santa and get his bell. He was even more excited when he could "hear" the bell ringing.

These guys were sitting with their cousins most of the time so I didn't get as many pictures of them. But they had a blast and the cookies and hot chocolate were so yummy.

The next morning we arrived at the train station early for the Wild Wild West show. It was funny but a little hard to enjoy because it started snowing and the wind was blowing and we were FREEZING. Of course we took our picture with the sheriff, not the train robbers.

Here is what we saw when we walked up the hill from the train station. This was unbelievable to me. I had never been to the Grand Canyon before and was completely amazed. I was also very frightened at how close to the edge you can get without any barrier to the canyon floor. Nathan stayed quite close to me the entire time we were there.

Our trip lasted less than 36 hours but it was so worth it. We had fun singing Christmas carols on the Polar Express ride. Everyone enjoyed being entertained by the musical cowboys on the Grand Canyon train ride. And we'll never forget the train robbery on the way back. It was definately one Grand adventure.

5 comments:

Cheri said...

I am SO jealous! My kids would LOVE that!

(Every time I click on your blog and see your picture at the top, I get the giggles. Nathan is so dang cute.)

GHFamily said...

I'm terrified of heights.. your description of the Grand Canyon gave me the willies... What a fun idea for a getaway.

Heidi said...

Michelle--this is awesome! We're going to have to do this. And Nathan looks more like Gary for sure. He's a mini Winder. --Andrew

Julianne said...

What a great get-a-away! It sounds so magical! Love the picture of Katie with the monkey in the post below...so funny.

I wasnted to know if any of you sisters had Grandma Potter's Crochet Christmas Stocking Pattern. I've been wanting to make some and haven't been able to find a pattern that's as perfect as her's. Can you tell me who to contact?
love, Julianne
jubiefruit@hotmail.com

Chandra said...

We did the Polar Express a few years ago and loved it!! It's well worth it to go see the Grand Canyon while you are there. You think you can't figure out who your kids look like- mine look like they came out of nowhere! Not even the same haircolor!! I think he's just the best of you both!